Sunday 19 May 2013

Beat the Heat...

It has been a month since my last ride. My mind was craving for one more. Plan was set about 2 weeks ago, but the time, IMO, was simply not right. This Sunday, finally the awaited hour came. I left home at 4 am wishing to beat the heat, to the hills. This trip was a mixture of ups and downs (both literally and symbolically).



Just like last time, it was a trip made for riding. Well, the beat the heat part wasn't pretty much successful as the suit I was wearing was acting like kind of a thermostat. The ride from Chandigarh to Shahzadpur was a breeze, except for some poultry farms greeting me with their odour. And then I took a wrong turn at Kala-Amb and reached Sadhura. The country side road was beautiful, so I didn't mind getting lost. Then I took a U-turn back to Kala-Amb and proceeded towards Nahan. My earlier plan was to take a longer way via Kaulawala Bhood Road. I reached till Balsar and then a dead end. Couldn't figure out where to go. I guess took a wrong turn somewhere or there was a way amongst the villages. I asked a person and he suggested to go back. Some how I was convinced and traced back my route to Kala-Amb. Then I stuck to the highway to Nahan.


As soon as I left Nahan, the roads were in pathetic condition till the turn leading to Sri Renukaji (SH2-MDR1 intersection). The road is under construction so loose gravel everywhere. Riders gotta watch out. The ride to Sri Renukaji is in a beauty itself. The curves, the slopes, the landscape are simply amazing. I went till the Temple and lake complex. stayed there for a while and returned. Again from SH2-MDR1 intersection towards Dharampur, the road is in pretty bad shape due to construction work. Lost my balance twice, though fall avoided as speed was in single digits. On the bright side, now I know how to tackle loose gravel.

After approx 20-25kms, the roads are back to normal again, rather excellent. Then it was a sprint back home.











Summary:
Route: Chandigarh - Dera Bassi - Shazadpur - Naraingarh - Nahan - Sri Renuka Ji - Dharampur - Himalayan Expressway - Chandigarh

Total Distance Covered: 355.1 Kms
Total Time: 12.5 Hours
Time on Road: 11 Hours approx
Pit Stops: Tea after Kala-Amb (Quality was OK; brunch at McD, NH22 (after Dharampur)

Road update: 30+ kms  in bad shape, loose gravel on SH2 after Nahan.

Other than the above mentioned patch, the roads are simply awesome :)









No comments:

Post a Comment